14 February 2009



Hello and welcome to the first of which will be many postings giving my measure of things. This is the first time that I am doing something like this, so your comments and feedback are appreciated. I am also new to posting on the internet and HTML and all these mod cons (yes, I am old enough to be able to use this as an excuse), so expect some bugs as I try out new things… But most of all I hope you enjoy your visit and come back again. It is my intention to do 1 post a week, and feel free to drop me a note if you’re tired of waiting for the next instalment. I’ll take all the encouragement I can get.

To start this off, I have decided to share one of my paintings.
This was my second attempt at an abstract painting. I am one of those horrible left-brained accountant types with only slightly more personality than an actuary, so the painting of an abstract was extremely difficult for me. There is no “right” way to paint an abstract; it is only how you fit the elements together. Worse than that, there is no “wrong” way either.
My initial intention was to paint a photograph of some daffodils, but found that it was to dull for me. I was looking to paint something bright and cheerful and decided on the US flag. The painting just grew from there. My favourite part of the painting is the sunglasses on the cacti.
In true abstract fashion I have left it to the viewer to interpret the painting. I had great fun painting this and I hope you have as much fun in your determinations as to the meaning.

4 comments:

Daphne said...

Hey Kim,

Great first post! I am hopeless about art, especially abstract art, so I'll just say that your drawing is light years better than anything I could do!

Kim said...

Thanks Daphne. We'll have to organise an art day at one of the local studio's - its great fun...

Universe and Oceans said...

great job - really enjoyed reading it and great painting - would love to hear more about the studios here in singapore

Daniel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.